Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Homemade Deodorant: So Far So Good


Deodorants???? There are so many to choose from. Which ones work, which ones won't break the bank and which ones are "better" for you. That is the million dollar question.

I think every body's body is different. The deodorant that works for me might not work for you. I can work out in the yard all day and not sweat very much. I get very thirsty and my face gets really red, but I don't perspire that much at all. Don't get me wrong, I will smell like sweat, I just don't have beads of it dropping off my forehead.

About a year ago I switched my deodorant to Tom's of Maine. I've only tried the lavender deodorant, it works o.k., but on those busy Friday nights at work or those long days in the garden, it doesn't hold up. This is just my opinion, I love Tom's of Maine toothpaste and other products, the deodorant just didn't work for me.

For a while now I've been thinking of making my own deodorant. I've found different recipes and it seemed pretty easy. Here's what I came up with.

Homemade Deodorant:
8 Tbsp. Coconut oil (from Tropical Traditions)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot
5 drops Lavender oil
5 drops Tea Tree oil

Mix the coconut oil with the baking soda and arrowroot until you get a nice deodorant consistency. Add in your oil and mix well. Spoon into an old deodorant container or a glass jar. I just really didn't want to have to apply it everyday with my hands.

The tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial and the lavender is just for smelling good. Next I'll try the Rose. That smells wonderful :)


Have been using it for about 3 weeks now and will never go back to the store bought brands. I worked out in the yard for 4 hours straight, two days this week and the homemade deodorant worked great. No smell, no clumps, no mess!!

No comments:

Post a Comment